FOI Request - Teacher Numbers
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act, I would be grateful if you could comply with the following request.
Should questions 2 and/or 3 cause the total request to exceed the time or cost limits specified in the Act then I would be grateful if you could still provide a partial response and provide an answer to question 1.
1. Using the same methods of counting that is used for the annual teacher census, please provide a snapshot of how many teachers were in publicly funded schools in your local authority area on (a) 15 September 2015 (b) 9 September 2015 (c) 16 August 2015 c) 17 August 2015 (or the first full day of the school term if pupils hadn’t returned by this date)
2. Please break the response to question 1 down by (i) ELC, (ii) primary school, (iii) secondary school, (iv) special school and (v) centrally employed.
3. Please also break down the response to question 1 by the following employment categories:
Teacher Status - Further Description (if applicable)
- Normal complement -Classroom teacher
- Long term sick absence replacement -Instead of the teacher on sick absence
- Secondment replacement -Instead of the teacher on secondment
- Maternity leave replacement -Instead of the teacher on mat leave
- Other replacement (over 2 days)* -Other replacement includes teachers who are on short term contracts which are over 2 days that cover a vacancy and are teaching on census day.
- Supernumerary Long term training/staff development replacement -Instead of the teacher on training
- Temporary contract covering a vacancy
- Teacher abroad on foreign exchange - Instead of the teacher on foreign exchange
- Short term supply teacher (2 days or less) AND centrally employed (mainstream supply teacher from supply pool) -If an authority runs a supply pool, those teachers should be included ‘in complement’ if they are assigned to a school on the census day. They can be included either in the assigned sector or in the centrally employed total but not both.
The information you requested can be found here.
Please note: Information is provided for 24 August 2015 and 16 September 2015. Information was not collated on any other dates and is therefore exempt under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, information not held.