FOI Request - Violence in the Classroom
Could you please provide me with the following information;
*We're interested in the most recent results available to you.
1. How many students were excluded at local state runs schools over the most recent 5 year period (e.g. 2011-2016) (both fixed period and permanent)?
2. Of those students how many were excluded for violent behaviour?
3. How many teachers have been physically attacked by a pupil at school over the most recent 5 year period ?
4. Of those who were attacked, what types of violence did they experience?
5. Were any teachers attacked with a weapon?
6. Of those who were attacked with a weapon, what was the type of weapon?
If the information is likely to exceed cost limits, I am willing for it to be provided for only one or two of the years.
1. Between 2011-12 and 2015-16, a total of 2,060 exclusion incidents were recorded involving 1,087 students.
2. Between 2011-12 and 2015-16, a total of 490 exclusion incidents relating to violent behaviour* were recorded involving 332 students.
* SEEMIS categories included as violent behaviour are:
Physical assault using improvised weapon against pupil Physical assault using improvised weapon against staff Physical assault using weapon against pupil Physical assault using weapon against staff Physical assault with no weapon against pupil Physical assault with no weapon against staff
3. 2011/12 - 63
2012/13 - 43
2013/14 - 55
2014/15 - 140
2015/16 - 172
4. For all years, staff were hit, punched, bitten, scratched, nipped, head butted & had their hair pulled.
2011/12 - 10
2012/13 - 14
2013/14 - 12
2014/15 - 23
2015/16 - 31
6. Staff were attacked with pencils, rubbers, books, balls, drinks containers, stones, baseball /table tennis bats, large plastic & metal toys, cameras, skipping ropes.