Record a Change of Name

If your birth is registered in Scotland or you were legally adopted in Scotland, you may apply for a change of forename or surname to be recorded. 

If you are under 16 years of age, the application must be made by a qualified applicant who is defined as follows:

  • where only one parent has parental responsibilities in relation to the child, that parent;
  • where both parents have such responsibilities in relation to the child, both parents; and
  • where neither parent has such responsibilities, any other person who has such responsibilities.

For more information and an application form to apply to record a name change, please contact your local registrar or visit National Records of Scotland.

If you were born outwith Scotland, you should contact a registrar in your country of birth to find out what method is used in that country.


Contact Us

Elgin Registration Office
240 High Street
IV30 1BA

01343 554600

Rate this Page