FOI Request Payment of Council Tax
1. What is the total sum of council tax that is currently outstanding?
2. How much is being chased?
3. How much has been written off?
4. How does this translate in terms of numbers of people owing and being chased etc?
5. What was the sum for outstanding council tax about one year ago, three years ago and five years ago?
6. Can you provide a breakdown by ward/ area of how much council tax is outstanding?
7. Again, how does this translate in terms of number of people?
8. What are the main reasons for why council tax has been written off?
9. What are the main reasons given by people for why they can not pay council tax?
10. Have the council stepped up their methods of clamping down on missed council tax payments/ council tax payment evasion? If so, in what way?
1. As at 31st December 2016 the total amount of Council Tax outstanding for all financial years is £19,336,207.00.
2. £19,336,207.00 is still being pursued.
3. No Council Tax arrears has been written off.
4. We do not record the number of people outstanding, only the value outstanding therefore this information is exempt under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002- Information Not Held.
5. The figures for outstanding Council Tax for the time periods required are, 31/03/2016 - £13,065,200.00 ; 31/03/2013 - £10,096,038.00 ; 31/03/2011 - £8,730,802.00.
6. It is not possible to break this outstanding amounts down by ward or area, as this is not recorded.
7. As in question 4's response, only the value outstanding is recorded.
8. Not applicable, as no Council Tax arrears has been written off.
9. Reasons for non payment are not recorded.
10. The council has always and will always use the full range of legal powers it has to purse Council Tax arrears, as will its appointed firm of Sheriff Officers.