FOI Request Parking Fines and Appeals
I would like to request the number of parking fines issued in the council’s name over the last three years (from January 1, 2014 – January 1, 2017) broken down by year.
Could you please also provide:
• The number of appeals made against these fines, both successful and unsuccessful, broken down by year.
• The total income made from the fines, broken down by year.
• The top three most common reasons for a successful appeal.
• The average fine paid during this period.
1. The database does not calculate unsuccessful appeals to excess charge notices so this information would be exempt under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002- Information Not Held. , only successful appeals are recorded:
2. Total income from excess charge notices:
2014 £ 7,180
2015 £ 7,610
3. Top 3 most common reasons for successful appeal:
Valid ticket - just not displayed
Valid permit not displayed
Machine failed to provide ticket and money lost (although this has to be backed up with the ticket machine being over)
4. Excess charge notice £65.00 - reduced to £40.00 if paid within 14 days of issue.