Community Council Elections 2021
Community Council elections in Moray for all 20 community councils are held every four years. Across Moray 208 community council member seats are available.
Boundary Map of Moray Community Councils (PDF, 1.6Mb)
- Key election dates
- Election process
- How do I become a candidate?
- Who can be a Community Council member?
- Postal votes
- Notice of Election published 23 August 2021
- Candidate nominations open on Tuesday 24 August 2021
- Candidate nominations close at 4pm on Thursday 30 September 2021
- Statement of those elected unopposed by 5pm on Thursday 30 September 2021
- Statement of those Community Councils subject to ballot 5pm on Thursday 30 September 2021
- Postal votes issued by Wednesday 13 October 2021
- Postal votes to be returned by Thursday 28 October 2021 (Close of poll)
- Count - By Thursday 4 November 2021
- Declaration of Community Council established (Election Results) By Thursday 4 November 2021
Election timetable (PDF, 636Kb)
- Notice of Election (PDF, 560kB)
- All individuals interested in becoming a member must submit a candidate nomination form by the deadline set out in the election timetable, this includes existing members;
- The election office acknowledges the nomination form and check validity;
- Three notices will be issued following the close of nominations;
- Notice declaring those community councils formed uncontested with enough candidates to form but seats not contested,
- Notice of Poll showing those Community councils requiring to proceed to ballot with more candidates then seats available,
- Notice of those Community Councils which have not formed due to insufficient candidates.
- Postal ballots will then proceed for those Community Councils and sub-divisions which are contested;
- Candidates will be able to attend a count of the votes subject to pandemic restrictions.
To be eligible to stand as a Community Council member, candidates must be named on the current electoral register (as at 1 August 2021) for the Community Council area in which they reside as a local government elector. The minimum age to stand for election as a Community Council member is 16 years of age.
All current term will cease at 3 October, and all existing community council members must submit a nomination form by the deadline if they wish to stand again.
Please read the guidance notes before completion. Forms downloaded from the website, will need to be printed, completed and signed. Two versions are available for use, one which can be completed by hand or one that can be downloaded, saved and then partially typed in Adode Reader, you may use either.
Requesting a Form
Hard copies of the nomination form and guidance are also available on request by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01343 563334, providing your name and postal address and community council you are considering standing for.
To complete the candidate nomination form you will require your elector number, found on annual communication sent to you by the electoral registration officer or to check call the electoral registration office on 01224 064800. The council's election office can also check on your behalf by emailing us at email@example.com.
If any community council area or sub-division is contested (more candidates than seats available at the close of nominations) then a ballot will be conducted in the area by postal vote issued by the Returning Officer. More information about this process will be provided at close of nominations.
Candidate statements provided by candidates at time of nomination will be included in the postal vote pack. This provides candidate information to the voters in casting their vote.
For more information about your local community council or to speak to the Community Council Liaison Officer about becoming a community council member please contact Jane Martin on 07976 494878 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To request a candidate nomination form, assistance in completing the form, or for more information about these elections contact the election office on 01343 563334 or email email@example.com
Please note that due to the pandemic staff are still working at home and council offices are closed, so it may take slightly longer to respond to queries. Please bear with us at this time.