FOI Request Paper Costs and Carbon Footprint Reduction Targets
I would be grateful if you can give me information on the following:
1) The total amount of reams of paper used by the authority in the last 12 months
2) The amount of expenditure on printing, photocopying, and consumables for internal purposes. We are not interested in the amount of expenditure for printing of publications for external use.
3) The amount of recycling of paper from your offices.
4) Does the local authority have a target to reduce the use of paper - if so what is the current progress?
5) Does the local authority have a target to reduce their carbon footprint - if so what is the current progress?
1) In 2017, 15,111 reams of paper were ordered. This will not fully reflect the reams used as we would be carrying stock at either end.
2) In accordance with Section 17 the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, we can confirm that this information is not held as our FMS (Financial Management System does not hold separate nominals to distinguish between printing for internal use and printing for external use or to identify paper form other stationery. We have a duty under Section 16 of the FOI(S)A to provide help and assistance and as such our accountancy department has extracted the relevant data based on the description used in FMS and estimate for printing, photocopying and consumables for both internal purposes and external use publications for the year 2016/17 is £371,000.
3) We do not record individual waste or material stream from individual groups of properties.
4) The Council does not have a target to reduce the use of paper just an ongoing commitment to reduce paper use where possible.
5) The Council does not have a target to reduce the carbon footprint although it does have work streams that will result in a reduced carbon footprint.