FOI Request Commemorating Women
I would like to request how many statues and memorials of women there are in your area. Also, are there any future plans to commemorate women from or with a connection to Moray?
While we do not hold a definitive list we are aware of the following:
- There is one at Clochan to the Women's Land Army on Crown Estate land.
- Elgin War memorial on the High Street has a statue of a female representing Peace and Victory.
- There are memorial plaques to witches on Victoria Road, Forres at the Police Station.
- The Order Pot Stone in Elgin commemorates the witches that were drowned at the pool there.
- Jean Carr's stone has a plaque on Forest Enterprise land in the Ordiquish wood, Fochabers
- Memorial Stone to Mary McCallum Webster within the Forest Enterprise Wood at Culbin.
- The post box on Clifton Road, Lossiemouth has a plaque to Olympian Heather Stanning.
- Alice Littler Park, Aberlour has a memorial stone to Alice Littler.
- The Duchess Monument near the summit of whiteash hill, Fochabers dedicated to Frances Harriet, Duchess of Richmond.
- The Baxter memorial garden overlooking the River Spey in Fochabers has a number of plaques and contained on them are Ethelreda Adam Baxter and Jane Maxwell, Duchess of Gordon.
- St Rufus park, Keith has a number of memorial plaques including Isobel Smith, Alice Forbes and Mary Livesey Forbes.
- The shelter in the bandstand gardens, Church Road, Keith has a plaque to Ethel Doris McConnachie.
- This does not include the war memorials at Keith, Aberlour and New Elgin that contain the names of women who died in WW1 and WW2.
- There is also a memorial to Meg Farquhar in James Square, Lossiemouth
The above list does not include:
- Street names in memory of women e.g. Duncan Drive and Ewing Howe in Elgin and McRobert's Reply in Lossiemouth to name but a few.
- Churches commemorating women e.g. St Margaret's in Aberlour and Lossiemouth or stained glass church windows or church organs of which there are a few.
- Women who are listed on private memorials in places like post offices, rail way stations, sports clubs etc.
There are currently no pending plans.