FOI Request Restored Lairs
Please provide me with the following:
1. A copy of the council’s register of restored lairs (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2016/20/part/1/crossheading/lair-restoration-to-use/enacted);
2. In relation to section 32 of the above Act, by financial year, (a) how many consultations have been made regarding the restoration of lairs and in which cemetery, (b) how many of these consultations resulted in lairs being re-used/restored and where, and (c) for what total £ amount did the council buy or sell “rights of burial” in relation to restored lairs?
3. For each of the last 10 financial years (including 2017/18 to date), what was the fee charged for cremations and burials?
4. Under the terms set out in the National Assistance Act 1948, all local authorities are required to provide burial or cremation for individuals who die without means (“paupers’ funerals” to use the colloquial term) within their respective district boundaries. For each of the last 10 financial years (including 2017/18 to date), how many such individuals have been buried and cremated. I want a separate number per year for burials and cremations;
5. As of now, what is the cost of (a) a ‘pauper’ burial (including cost of coffin), and (b) a ‘pauper’ cremation.
1. The Moray Council does not have one and does not have any restored lairs.
4. Moray Council does not own any crematoriums.
The current fee 2018/19 is £1558 combined for the purchase of a lair and interment for an adult. This is based on a Monday to Friday interment. There are different higher rates for weekend and public holidays.
For 2017/18 it was £1513
For 2016/17 it was £1441
For 2015/16 it was £1373
For 2014/15 it was £1369
For 2013/14 it was £978
For 2012/13 it was £815
For 2011/12 it was £776
For 2010/11 it was £676
For 09/10 it was £568
For Interment of Cremated Remains
The current fee 2018/19 is £204
For 2017/18 it was £198
For 2016/17 it was £188
For 2015/16 it was £179
For 2014/15 it was £178
For 2013/14 it was £127
For 2012/13 it was £106
For 2011/12 it was £101
For 2010/11 it was £88
For 09/10 it was £78
5. The following funerals have been arranged by the Environmental Health Section in terms of Section 50 of the National Assistance Act 1948 in the undernoted financial years (unless otherwise stated no cremations were carried out):
2008-09: three burials
2009-10: one burial
2010-11: three burials
2011-12: one burial
2012-13: two burials
2013-14: two burials
2014-15: five burials and one cremation
2015-16: two burials and one cremation
2016-17: four burials
2017 -18 (up to 1/3/18): four burials
(a): the average cost of a funeral with a burial, inclusive of Moray Council staff costs, is £1880.
(b): the most recent cremation was in October 2015 and cost £2449.50 (cremations are only arranged when there are sufficient funds in the deceased person’s estate and when a cremation has been specified in a will).