Local Government By-Election 2019
About this by-election
Following the resignation of Cllr Ron Shepherd (Independent) from Ward 2 - Keith and Cullen a local government (council) by-election will be held on Thursday 21 November 2019.
The 3 member multi-member ward covers the following areas; Portknockie, Cullen, Deskford, Newmill, Keith, Grange, Rothiemay.
Ward 2 Keith and Cullen Ward area map (540kB, PDF) or refer to the mapping tool found here.
- Notice of Local Government By-Election (60kb, PDF)
- Notice of Poll (List of Candidates standing) (189kb, PDF)
- Notice of Election Agents appointed (200kb, PDF)
- Situation of Polling Places (205kb, PDF)
Election timetable can be downloaded (211kb, PDF), the main dates are shown below
The deadline to register to vote for this by-election or apply for a postal vote has now passed.
- Deadline to register for a proxy vote - 5pm on Wednesday 13 November
- Postal Votes were issued on Tuesday 12 November
- Deadline for Polling and Count Agents to be appointed - Thursday 14 November
- Polling Day - Thursday 21 November 2019
- Date of Count - Friday 22 November 2019
Candidates and Nominations
Candidates standing in this by-election are:
- Ian AITCHISON, Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Rob BARSBY, Independent
- Jock MCKAY, Scottish National Party (SNP)
- Laura POWELL, Scottish Conservative and Unionist
More information can be found in the Notice of Poll (189kB, PDF)
Voting Method / Single Transferable Vote
Scottish Local Government Elections are conducted under the Single Transferable Vote (STV) electoral system. This means voters should rank the candidates in order of their preference using numbers on the ballot paper.
Voters are advised to vote using numbers as follows;
- number the candidates in the order of your choice
- put the number 1 in the box next to the name of the candidate who is your first choice
- 2 in the box next to your second choice
- 3 in the box next to your third choice and so on
You can make as many or as few choices as you wish.
For more information about Single Transferable Vote please visit our dedicated page.
Polling Day and Polling Places
The polling places in use in this by-election will be;
- McBoyle Hall, Portknockie
- Cullen Tennis and Bowling Club
- Deskford Jubilee Hall
- Newmill Hall
- King Memorial Hall, Grange
- Old Ogilvie School, Fife-Keith
- Longmore Hall 1
- Longmore Hall 2
- Rothiemay Hall
Polling stations are open between 7am and 10pm on polling day. For information about accessibility or requires assistance at the polling station please contact the Elections Office using the information below.
A polling scheme showing the polling places in use will be published in due course (xxkB, PDF)
The deadline for postal vote applications has now passed. Postal votes were issued first class on Tuesday 12 November 2019.
For guidance on how to complete your postal vote packs please see the step by step guide available here.
Completed postal vote packs must be received by the Returning Officer at the elections office address below by 10pm on Thursday 21 November.
The count will take place the day after the poll on Friday 22 November 2019 at Keith Grammar School, Assembly Hall in front of candidates and agents.
The single transferable vote count will be undertaken manually. For more information about Single Transferable Vote please visit our dedicated page.
- Committees and councillors of the Moray Council
- Committee Meeting webcasts
- Results of past elections
Electoral Registration Office
For electoral register enquiries, to register to vote, change or amend your addresses or to apply for a postal or proxy vote. Please note that the Electoral Registration Officer only deals with Electoral Register enquiries, amendments and applications to register to vote, applying for a postal or proxy vote.
Electoral Registration Officer
Grampian Valuation Joint Board
234 High Street, Elgin, IV30 1BA
Tel: 01343 619819
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for elector register queries, postal and proxy vote applications
Monday - Thursday - 9am to 5pm, Friday - 9am to 4pm
Moray Election Office
Returning Officer - Denise Whitworth
For information about: elections, dates and notices, candidate nominations, polling places, issues with postal votes not being received, spoilt or lost, ballot papers and how to vote, results or any other election related query:
Elections Office, Moray Council, Council Office, High Street, Elgin, IV30 1BX
Elections Helpline: 01343 563334
Email: email@example.com (! please do not use this email address for electoral register queries or application to vote by post or proxy) please see above.