FOI Request - Medication
I am writing to you under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 to request the following information regarding medication support provided by in-house and externally provided homecare services:
1. In a typical week how many individuals receive homecare support i.e. where a homecare worker provides help and support to individuals at home.
2. Do you support individuals with their medication?
3. If yes, how many?
4. Are MAR (Medical Administration Record) sheets/charts used by in-house or externally provided homecare services?
5. If yes, how many?
6. If MAR is used, who has the responsibility to complete the document?
7. What are the categories and levels of support provided with medication?
8. How many individuals who receive homecare support have been assessed as competent and physically able to manage their own medicine i.e. need no assistance?
9. How many individuals who receive homecare support need prompting or reminding to take their medication?
10. If individuals require this level of support how is this recorded?
11. How many individuals who receive homecare support have their medication dispensed into a blister pack by a pharmacist?
12. If individuals have blister packs and require support how is this recorded?
13. How many individuals who receive homecare support have been assessed as not being able to take responsibility to manage their medication and have homecare workers directly administering medicines i.e. they do not know what medication they are taking, when they are taking it or why they are taking it?
14. If individuals receive this type of support how is this recorded?
1. Approx 450
2. Yes where there is an assessed need
3. 296 currently
5. 187 MAR sheets currently
6. The pharmacy will always issue the MARS sheet
7. Level 1 - fully independent, level 2 - prompt required , level 3 full support with all aspects from ordering to administration.
8. 55 currently
10. In the assessment document and the individual personal plan.
12. On the medication risk assessment document and communication sheets i.e meds prompted and seen to be taken.
14. On MARS sheets, Medication risk assessment sheets and personal plans
In accordance with section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 please be advised that we do not hold the requested information. We can confirm that they use Mar Sheets for medication and that they follow the local medication management policy.