FOI Request - Money Recovered Using Baliffs
1. I would like to know how much money, if any has been recovered using bailiffs (debt collection agencies) in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023, broken down to the amount by year, for the following debts:
(a) council tax arrears • parking penalty charges • Housing Benefit overpayments.
2. I would also like to see the policy documents regarding the use of bailiffs and the details of any complaints lodged against the council's use of bailiffs.
3. If possible I would also like to know how much the council is spending on contracts with debt collection agencies.
1. & 2. Not held as in Scotland we do not use Bailiffs. Information that is not held falls under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 - Information not held. We do however employ a Debt collector who will, if instructed, endeavor to recover housing, council tax and sundry (including parking) debts using a variety of methods including the use of Sheriff Officers.
3. Details of the contract can be found on our published contract register on our website. This information is therefore exempt under section 25 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, information otherwise accessible. For ease of reference please find a link to the web page here: http://www.moray.gov.uk/moray_standard/page_101331.html