Request Copies of Certificates
As long as the event took place in Scotland, you can get a new or replacement certificate (extract) for any birth, death, marriage or civil partnerships registered in Scotland since 1855 from any registrar’s office in Scotland.
Types of Certificates
- Short certificate (abbreviated certificate) shows minimal information
- Long certificate (full certificate) shows exactly what is recorded on the register page
Who can apply?
Birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates are public documents, as such anyone can apply for a copy without restriction.
You can order online, or call 01343 554600 to order a certificate.
Requests will normally be processed within 5 working days. The copy certificate will be sent to you by first class post or you can collect it from our office in Elgin - please specify when ordering.
Depending on the certificate you should have the following information to allow you to order a certificate:
- full name of the person(s) including surname at birth
- date of the birth/death/marriage or civil partnership
- where the event took place
- for a birth certificate, mother’s maiden surname (if known)
You will require to have your credit/debit card details to hand to make payment.
Fees for certificates in Scotland
- If an extract is produced at the time of registration: £10
- Extract requested up to 1 month after event was registered: £10
- Thereafter: £15
For adoption certificates, only the adopted individual may request a copy of their adoption certificate. You can request a copy of your adopted birth certificate from the National Records of Scotland.
For a Still Birth you can get a copy of the extract of the register from the National Records of Scotland.
Dissolution of civil partnership, Forces Register, census and Old Parish Register certificates are also available online via the ScotlandsPeople website
Elgin Registration Office
240 High Street