Legal and Money Advice

Managing Money and Dealing With Debt

The Moray Money Advice Partnership gives free, confidential advice and assistance with all debts.

To access the service, contact either Moray Council Trading Standards

Or Moray Citizens Advice Bureau

Housing and Council Tax Benefits

If you are on a low income, you may be able to get Council Tax Benefit. If you are disabled, or live with someone who is, your property may qualify for the disabled banding scheme.

Housing Benefit is available to help pay rent if you are on a low income. It will depend on the level of your income and savings and may only cover part of your rent.

Claiming Benefits

The Welfare Benefits Team provides advice and information relating to welfare benefits, including a income maximisation assessment to ensure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to. The team can also provide representation at Unified Appeals Tribunals.

Appointments must be booked in advance

The official UK Government website  Directgov External website logo provides information on all public services, including financial matters.

The Department of Work and Pensions is responsible for all welfare and pension policy, and delivers its customer services through three operational organisations.

Jobcentre Plus helps people prepare for work and find employment. It delivers working age benefits such as Jobseekers Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance.

Disability and Carers Service provides financial support for customers claiming disability benefits and their carers - for example Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Carer’s Allowance.

The Pension Service provides pensions, benefits and retirement information. It also carries out income maximisation assessments for those aged 60 and over.

Managing Someone Else's Affairs

There may come a time when it becomes necessary to manage someone’s affairs - including their finances - if they are unable to do so themselves, perhaps due to learning disabilities, mental health problems or because of an illness, such as dementia. You may be caring for the person already, or they may be someone close to you who is finding it difficult to cope.

You can look after someone else’s affairs under the Mental Capacity Act 2005. This legislation gives people the right to make decisions for themselves where possible. It also includes measures to allow someone else to manage their finances and property and make health and welfare decisions if they can no longer do so.

Contact Us

Access Care Team

01343 563999

Rate this Page