Reporting Dangerous Buildings and Structures

It is the responsibility of the owner(s) of a building to maintain it in a good state of repair and address any problems that may occur.

Reports of dangerous buildings should be made to us by calling 0300 123 4561. Please do not report possible dangerous buildings or structures by email.

We will take any necessary action to make safe any buildings/structures or  part of a building/structure which has become dangerous. If practical we will contact the building owner(s) and give them the chance to undertake the required works. There will be occasions however when this is not possible and we will instruct a contractor to either undertake the work or secure the site to prevent access to and/or around the affected property. Where the operations are carried out by our contractor, the costs incurred will be recovered from the owners. The Building Standards team provide a 24 hour call-out service to the Police and Fire Services where advice is required on the condition of buildings in an emergency.

In the case where immediate action is not required, we may serve a Dangerous or Defective Buildings Notice on the owner(s) of the property. This notice requires the owner(s) to commence and complete such operations as are necessary to remove the danger within specific time periods. If these time periods are not met or the danger still exists the council will appoint a contractor to undertake the relevant work and again all costs will be met by the property owner(s).

A dangerous building can include buildings or structures, in public or private ownership. A dangerous building or structure is where it has become defective: the most common defects include cracking, bulging walls, partially collapsed buildings, items hanging from a building, wind damage, fire damage, decayed elements.

Sections 28 - 30 of the Building Scotland Act 2003 provides enforcement powers to Local Authorities to ensure that buildings are maintained in a safe condition.

You can view details of dangerous and defective buildings through our Public Access online search facility. You can search by entering a keyword, reference number, postcode or the first line of an address in the search box.

If you would like to see the complete register of dangerous buildings, please contact us.

Contact Us

Building Standards

0300 1234561

Rate this Page