FOI Request - Transport Budget - Cycling
- What was the total transport budget for your council for 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12 and 2012/13, and the projected transport budget for 2013/14?
- What was the total budget spent specifically on cycling (installation and maintenance of cycle lanes, cycle racks, marketing of cycle routes, cycle maintenance, cycle training etc) in those same years, including a projected figure for 2013/14?
- Is there someone within the council with a specific brief to be in charge of cycling? If so, who are they and what is their job title?
- Are there any innovative pro-cycling measures which have been taken recently by your council that The Times could highlight as an example of best-practice?
1. Moray Council Transport Budget:
Total Transport Cycling
2008/09 £5.702m £154k
2009/10 £7.244m £243k
2010/11 £5.247m £240k
2011/12 £4.421m £186k
2012/13 £9.643m £132k
2013/14 £6.872m £102k
2. See response to Question 1.
3. Sustainable Travel Officer (responsible for promoting cycling as part of remit).
4. We undertook an innovative project for sustainable travel between 2009 and 2012, under the banner of "Urban Freedom". Based in Elgin the project was part-funded by a European grant. It involved a mixture of soft and hard measures to promote all aspects of sustainable travel, including cycling. Within that project we introduced the first "contra-flow" cycle lane in Moray.