Reporting Domestic Abuse to the Police

How to Report Domestic Abuse:

If the incident requires immediate attention please contact your local Police Office.  In an emergency always call 999 ( if the incident is ongoing or life is in danger)

  • To report domestic abuse please call 101
  • If you wish to remain anonymous please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 

If you have been the victim or witness to domestic abuse or have concerns regarding a victim of domestic abuse you can report this to police. This can be done by attending  your local Police office.  If the incident is urgent, this is the best way to report it.  If someone is in immediate danger always phone 999, or call 101 for non-emergency’s.

Reporting incidents assists the Police in tackling domestic abuse.  The information you provide is valuable.  It enables us to identify areas of concern and patterns of behaviour that could lead to the prosecution of offenders and the safety of victims.

We will record all information reported and appropriate action will be taken.

Help us to Help You…

You can help us to help you by:

Providing as much detail as possible about what has happened to you, making a note of the time and date and place the incident(s) took place.  Providing the names and addresses of anyone who saw/heard the abuse or who you told about what was happening to you.  Keep anything that confirms what has happened to you eg: mobile phone, video or audio recording, threatening text messages or abusive mail.

What will the Police Do?

The Police are committed to providing a professional, sensitive and consistent approach to victims of domestic abuse.  This means:

Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of victims, their families and any other person present

Thorough investigation of all incidents, securing all available evidence and taking appropriate action

Actively pursuing offenders so they can be held accountable through the criminal justice system.

Ensuring that appropriate information and advice is provided in relation to the support available from other agencies.

Standards You Can Expect:

The Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (ACPOS)  and the Crown office and the Procurator Fiscal Service have agreed a joint protocol outlining procedures and practices to be followed in domestic abuse cases.

Rate this Page