FOI Request - Bookmakers
(1) Do you have any guidelines covering the approval of licences for bookmakers and what criteria must be met before a license is granted?
(2) How many licences for bookmakers have you handed out in the past 5 years, broken down by year?
(3) What opening hours do you permit under a bookmakers’ licence and have these been extended in recent years? Specifically, what is the earliest and the latest time that a bookmakers can be open from / until?
(1) The premises licence is for betting premises. We have a statement of licensing policy published in accordance with the Gambling Act 2005 available here.
There is also information on the website.
(2) There is a register of premises licences available here.
Betting premises are identified by the abbreviation "BET" within the licence number. The only such licence issued in the last 5 years is the William Hill licence in Elgin in 2008.
(3) There is a default condition attaching to betting premises licences as follows:
"No facilities for gambling shall be provided on the premises between the hours of 10.00pm on one day and 7.00am on the next day."