FOI Request - Funeral Arrangements
(1) What arrangements take place when a death occurs of someone who lives within the council area and there are no funeral arrangements made by family?
(2) Does the council take on the role for arranging a funeral?
(3) If the council is unable to locate the family, who would normally attend the funeral?
(4) Are these people paid to attend the funeral?
(5) What are the factors for deciding whether the funeral should be a cremation or burial?
(6) Are there any other types of funerals provided by the council?
(7) If the funeral is a cremation, what is the name of the cremation centre that is used by the council?
(8) If the funeral is a burial, what is the name of cemetery that is used by the council?
(9) Are the funeral costs inclusive of the costs of the people attending the funeral?
For the funerals that the council have dealt with since the beginning of the year 2013:
(10) Was the funeral a cremation, burial or other? (please specify if other)
(11) What information is collated to decide what type of funeral needs to be take place?
(12) Who attended the funeral?
(13) Did family members attend the funeral?
(14) How much did the funeral cost?
(15) How long did it take to arrange the funeral from the time of death?
(16) Between the time of death and time of funeral where is the body of the deceased kept? Give name of person in charge and/or address of location.
(17) Does it charge the council to keep the body of the deceased in between the time of death and time of funeral?
(18) How much did it cost?
(19) Are these costs included in 'funeral costs'?
(20) What is the maximum length of time that the body can be kept elsewhere while funeral arrangements are being made?
(21) What is the name of the deceased?
(22) What is the date of death and date of birth of the deceased?
(23) What is the residential address?
(24) Has the information been sent to other governing bodies?
(25) What is the name of the governing body/bodies?
(26) Has the information been sent to Treasury Solicitor, Duchy, Queen's & Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer, National Ultimus Haeres Unit (or the equivalent of)?
(1) We have a contract with a local Funeral Director who provides undertaking services i.e. provision of coffin , flowers ,vehicles etc. We would also register the death if necessary. We do not provide cremations ,only burials, and in this respect we usually use one of the plots we have in various cemeteries we have.
Wherever possible we try to recover the cost from the estate of the deceased.
(2) See (1) above.
(3) Funeral director , officers from council and anyone who wishes to attend.
(4) Not directly. A charge for officer time is charged to the estate if possible.
(5) Only burials are provided.
(7) Not applicable.
(8) Various cemeteries are used.
(11) We only provide burials.
(12) This information is not held and is therefore exempt under Section 17 (1b) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
(13) This information is not held and is therefore exempt under Section 17 (1b) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
(14) Five burials in total .We recovered all costs for three.Net costs for remainder were £450 and £1070.
(15) Approximately 2/3 weeks.This can be longer if a Post Mortem has to be carried out.
(16) At Funeral Director. Currently Graham Rattray, Allafern, Stotfield Road,Lossiemouth,Moray IV31 6QR.
(17) Part of overall costs for funeral services.
(18) This information is not held and is therefore exempt under Section 17 (1b) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
(20) This information is not held and is therefore exempt under Section 17 (1b) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
(21-23) Hans Jurgen Migulski, 3 Westfield Cottages, Elgin Moray IV 30 8XL D.O.B Not known D.O.D 06/02/13
Alexander Alan Spence, 5 Charles Close, Elgin IV30 1DE D.O.B 16/11/56 D.O.D 10/05/13
James Robson, 11b Blantyre Terrace, Buckie AB56 1SJ D.O.B 23/04/46 D.O.D 15/06/13
Thomas Young ,Weston House 123 Moss Street, Keith D.O.B 06/10/41 D.O.D 08/07/13
Alec Ettles, Glenisla House Banff Road,Keith AB55 5GT D.O.B 25/09/28 D.O.D 07/08/13
(24) No.DWP are advised however.
(25) Not applicable.