FOI Request - Trade Union Business - Accommodation
1. Please provide details of any office accommodation your organisation provides to staff to carry out trade union business. Please include details of:
• space measured in square feet
• how much of this space is contained within entirely separate buildings (i.e. occupied solely by staff carrying out trade union business)
• whether a professional valuation of the market rental value of the space has been sought either in-house or externally, and if so, what the valuation of the space was
• any charges the council levy for office space given to trade unions.
2. Please advise any estimates for other costs met for those staff on trade union facility time apart from salaries - including travel expenses, office supplies, telephone expenses and energy bills.
1. Points 1, 3 and 4 - This information is not held and is therefore exempt under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
Point 2 - None
2. An extract from the Council’s policy on Time Off For Trade Union Duties is shown below. This information is not held and is therefore exempt under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002; costs are all absorbed within the corporate budget. Travel expenses for union duties are not paid for by the Moray Council.
7.0 FACILITIES FOR TRADE UNION OFFICIALS
7.1 The scope for the provision of facilities at some Moray Council workplaces may be limited. However, as a minimum the Council will endeavour to provide for the use of accredited trade union lay officials at the appropriate workplace;
- Access to a telephone and e-mail at all reasonable times for use on trade union business.
- Reasonable use of the internal mailing system.
- Where availability allows, access to meeting rooms for meetings with other officials, individual members or new employees.
- Where requested and where feasible designated display areas for Trade Union publications.
- Lockable storage facilities for documents relating to Trade Union business and for which Trade Union is responsible.