FOI Request - Childcare Provision Two Year Olds
1. To ask, as a result of the childcare expansion announced by the Scottish Government on January 7th 2014, how many additional two year olds (those two year olds from workless households) will become eligible, from this August, for 600 hours of childcare provision? (See Note)
2. With reference to question 1, of this number how many will be entitled to take up this commitment from i) August 2014 ii) January 2015 and iii) March 2015?
3. With reference to question 1, of this number what percentage are projected to take up a place at a local authority operated nursery and what percentage are projected to take up a place at a non-local authority operated nursery?
4. How many additional places do you expect local authority operated nurseries to be able to provide for 2 year olds from i) August 2014 ii) January 2015 and iii) March 2015?
5. To provide for these 2 year olds, how many places do you expect to have to procure from non-local authority operated nurseries from i) August 2014 ii) January 2015 and iii) March 2015?
6. With reference to question 1, of these newly eligible 2 year olds how many will be accommodated for a nursery place within the catchment area in which they live?
Note: I am referring specifically to those 8,400 two year olds from workless households who became eligible to receive 600 hours due to the Scottish Government’s announcement of January 7th 2014 (http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Supporting-Scotland-s-families-81d.aspx). I am not referring to the wider cohort (including 2s deemed as ‘looked after’) covered specifically within the Children and Young People Act.
This information is not currently held and is therefore exempt under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. The information will be available mid July 2014.
We had indicated that the information should be available mid July and now have the details as per below.
1. Based on government figures, adjusted for income based claims only 143 children will be eligible of which the government have suggested we work on an estimated 70% uptake (100 children).
2. Of the 100, government figures suggest 41 will be eligible in August 2014, an additional 27 in January 2015 and an additional 14 in April 2015.
3. At the moment we are only using external providers.
5. At the moment we are only working with external nurseries to provide for the 2 year olds so figures quoted in 2 will apply
6. This is dependent on the number of actual applicants.