FOI Request - Kerbside & Recycling Services
I hereby request copies of the following records:
1. Please provide details of the kerbside and HWRC recycling service the Council provides including;
a. Who collects and/or owns the recyclables;
b. How the recyclables are collected (including the type of the container they are collected in);
c. What happens to them after collection, including details of any bulking stations, and end re-processors;
d. How many households are using the current scheme;
e. How often is collection (both residual and dry scheme);
2. Please provided details of the contracts in place for the recycling services, including;
a. Start date, termination date, any extensions available;
3. If the Council operates a Material Recovery Facility, please provide;
a. Input material details
c. Current capacity utilisation
4. Does the Council require the materials collected for recycling to be recycled in the UK?
5. Does the Council have any plans to change the current collection system or materials collected?
6. Please provide contact details of the Councillor whose portfolio includes waste management and recycling.
7. Please provide contact details of the Council employee responsible for managing the waste management and recycling contracts.
8. Please send minutes of any meetings at which the Council discussed current or future recycling and/or waste management services within the last 12 months. If this is not possible then a link to the minutes is sufficient.
1a The Moray Council
1b Kerbside segregated collection using prevalently wheeled bins - 240l - residual; 240l - biowaste; 140l - paper; 140l - plastic bottles/mixed cans; 38l box - glass bottles
1c All material is taken to our transfer station in Elgin for bulking up prior to onward transport to the locations below in 2.
1d Full coverage 43285 houses
1e Alternate fortnightly for residual and biowaste, fortnightly dry recyclates
2. Material Company Contract Ends Possible Extension
Glass MKD32 Ongoing
Paper & Card Saica Natur UK Ltd Sep 14 1 year
Plastics Saica Natur UK Ltd Sep 14 1 year
Green/Food Keenan Recycling Mar 14 Under review
Aluminium Cans Novelis UK Ltd Ongoing
Steel Cans Williamsons Ltd Ongoing
We are currently assessing new Scotland Excel Dry Recyclate framework contract in terms of best value for future contacts
Overall revenue from sales of material for 2013/14 was £376k
3a Mixed plastic bottles (types 1 & 2) and mixed cans.
3b 5t per day
3c 8t per day
4. Only where practicable
6. Cllr John Cowe, Chair of Economic Development & Infrastructure Services
7. Steve Williamson, Waste Management Officer