FOI Request - New Legislation in Food Businesses
From 13 December 2014, food businesses in the UK will have to follow new rules in labelling pre-packed foods and non-prepacked (loose) foods. This is part of the European Union Food Information for Consumers Regulation (EU FIC) coming into force.
1. What press releases / announcements have you issued relating to these new rules?
2. What publicity (including, but not limited to leaflets and emails) have you issued relating to these new rules?
3. Please provide internal emails (from 1st Jan 2014 to date) detailing discussions regarding the implementation of these new rules?
4. Please provide details of internal meetings (from 1st Jan 2014 to date) and discussions regarding the implementation of these new rules?
5. Please provide internal emails (from 1st Jan 2014 to date) detailing publicity and the publicising of these new rules.
6. What training has taken place for council staff in connection with enforcement of these new rules?
7. Provide a copy of the enforcement policy for these new rules.
8. What information have you sent to any of your own departments (including Social Services, Adult Services, Education) about these new rules?
9. How many press releases have you issued relating to these new rules?
10. How many press releases have you issued in total from September 1st 2013 to date?
11. Please provide evidence of how local food businesses are supported and prepared for these new rules, including any internal communications to support evidence of this process.
12. Please provide any internal emails or minutes from meetings to support the decision making process in the development of any food standards projects.
1. None to date.
2. Limited at present to customer enquiries.
3. See attachments from our reference library on these regulations. Staff are advised by email when documents are uploaded to the library.
4. These rules have been subject to discussion at the Scottish Food Enforcement Liaison Committee Food Standards Sub Group. These minutes are discussed as a standing item at the North of Scotland Food Liaison Group meetings. These minutes are cascaded to staff.See Draft NSFLG meeting minutes 12 June 2014 and FSSC draft minutes 201405.
5. All information to staff is uploaded to the reference Library and a screen shot is provided at Q3.
6. REHIS Northern Centre meeting 2 Sept 2011- 8 staff attended FSA Food Sampling and Standards Course 1st October 2013 and February 2014 - 5 officers attended. See agenda attached Food Standards Manual Training day 22 Feb 2013 - 1 member of staff attended. See presentation attached
Two members of staff have attended Level 4 Award on Nutrition Staff also have access to 2 FSA online training courses http://labellingtraining.food.gov.uk/
7. Enforcement of these new rules is consistent with other enforcement issues. i.e. graduated approach with advice and education first with proportionate approach to formal enforcement. Please see attached Enforcement Policy, Enforcement Decision Procedure and Food Sampling Procedure.
8. None to date
9. None to date
10. This information is exempt under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002; information otherwise accessible. The information can be found here.
11. Discussion during routine visits. Manufacturers/processors and packers have been prioritised. See Q11 attachment.
12. Moray was audited by FSA last year see copy of action plan attached. The full report is on the FSA website.
Annual sampling programme set with Public Analyst and neighbouring authorities, national and local priorities addressed including local intelligence lead projects e.g. vegetarian meals checked for animal protein (see customer complaint email- possible misdescribed food products-that lead to this project). See chemical sampling programme attached. Recent local projects has included a joint Trading Standards Environmental Health spirit sampling. See protocol and outcome of project-untitled email attached.(Project Submission, Results from National Fair Trading Group)
Food Standards also forms part of our annual Food Enforcement Service Delivery Plan - see attached Report/Papers, Appendix 1, Appendix 2 referring to last year's plan. This year's plan is still in development.