FOI Request - Young People Subject to Immigration Control in Care
I apply under the terms of the Freedom of Information legislation for the following information about children and young people from outside the EU cared for by your Local Authority who are subject to immigration control but have not claimed asylum.
To be specific, I am seeking information relating to young people who are:
• Up to the age of 25;
• Who are from outside the EU, and will not have claimed asylum but are in the care of the Local Authority
• This would include children and young people whose parents have been detained through immigration or criminal procedures and/or children and young people who have been taken into care because of child protection concerns and/or where private/public family law proceedings are underway. They may have been placed in foster care, or other forms of accommodation or they may be detained but are still being financed by your own Local Authority. They may or may not have an allocated Social Worker but will normally be accommodated or financed or both by the Authority’s Social Services Department either under compulsory measures of care or through voluntary or discretionary provision.
In each of the last two financial years:
1. How many children under the age of 16 are being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority?
2. How many children between the ages of 16 to 18 are being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority?
3. How many 18 – 25 year olds currently being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority are victims of trafficking?
4. How many (of the combined total of 1- 3 above) are female?
5. What are the predominant nationalities of the children identified at (1) & (2) above? For example please provide us with the top five nationalities
6. What are the predominant nationalities of the 18-25 year at (3) above? For example please provide us with the top five nationalities
7. In relation to 1-3 above, how many of the children and young people were taken into the care of the local authority owing to child protection concerns?
8. In relation to 1-3 above, please provide a breakdown of the reasons children and young people were taken into the care of the Local Authority? For example this may be due to a bereavement, imprisonment, health of the primary care giver and/or following abandonment.
9. In relation to 1-3 above, how many children and young people were subject to public family law proceedings?
10. In respect of 7 above, how many interim care orders were granted by the Court in favour of the Local Authority? How many full care orders were granted in favour of the Local Authority?