FOI Request - Asylum Seeking Children
I apply under the terms of the Freedom of Information legislation for the following information about asylum-seeking children and young people cared for by your Local Authority.
To be specific, I am seeking information relating to young people who are:
• Up to the age of 25;
• Who are currently looked after and/or accommodated by the Local Authority under Child Act provisions and/or leaving care provisions;
• To include children and young people who entered into your care as ‘Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children’ (UASC) who then went on to join members of their family in the UK who were seeking asylum;
• This would include children and young people: whose parents have been detained through immigration or criminal procedures; who have been taken into care because of child protection concerns; and/or where private/public family law proceedings are underway;
• These young people will have normally have been included as a dependent in a family member’s asylum application or claimed asylum in their own right with the Home Office. They may have been placed in foster care, or other forms of accommodation or they may be detained but are still being financed by your own Local Authority. They may or may not have an allocated Social Worker but will normally be accommodated or financed or both by the Authority’s Social Services Department either under compulsory measures of care or through voluntary or discretionary provision.
I respectfully request information on the following:
In each of the last two financial years:
1. How many asylum-seeking children under the age of 16 are being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority?
2. How many asylum-seeking children between the ages of 16 and 18 are being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority?
3. How many asylum-seeking 18 – 25 year olds are being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority?
4. How many (of the combined total of (1) - (3) above) are female?
5. What are the predominant nationalities of the children identified at (1) and (2) above? For example, please provide us with the top five nationalities.
6. What are the predominant nationalities of the 18 - 25 year olds at (3) above? Again, if possible please provide us with the top five nationalities.
7. In relation to (1) – (3) above, how many of the asylum-seeking children and young people were taken into the care of the local authority owing to child protection concerns?
8. In relation to (1) – (3) above, please provide a breakdown of the reasons children and young people were taken into the care of the Local Authority. For example this may be due to a bereavement, imprisonment, health of the primary care giver and/or following abandonment.
9. In relation to (1) – (3) above, how many children and young people were subject to public family law proceedings?
10. In respect of (7) above, how many interim care orders were granted by the Court in favour of the Local Authority? How many full care orders were granted in favour of the Local Authority?
We respectfully submit that this information will be held by your children and family social work teams, or any specialist young migrants / young persons asylum teams that your authority may have.
We have and have had no asylum seeking children of any age.