Private Sector Landlord


All private sector landlords must be registered with the Scottish Landlord Register.

Apply for Registration

Register and pay

Due to new regulations and the requirement to answer the additional information questions and declarations when completing or renewing your application, Moray Council staff will no longer be able do this over the phone on your behalf from 16th September 2019.  

We will be able to provide a paper application (or you can download one below) for completion if you are unable to complete the process online however please note this is likely to cause delays in your application being input while the Local Authority area of the Landlord Registration Website is updated. This will not result in you paying a late application fee provided we received your paper application prior to your registration expiry date.

Private Sector Landlord Registration Form (Word)

Private Sector Landlord Registration Form (PDF)

Further information is available on our landlord registration page. has published information about what you must do before registering your property who also provide a link to the registration webpages.


Being a Landlord

Scottish Government has produced information and advice called ‘Being a landlord in Scotland’  which includes a range of advice for landlords which includes, but isn’t limited to:  how to carry out background checks on new tenants; landlord right of entry; ending a tenancy and dealing with a tenant’s antisocial behaviour.

Moray Council has also produced a useful overview guide

Landlord Accreditation

Moray Council works in partnership with Landlord Accreditation Scotland (LAS) whose aim is to promote best practice in the private rented sector.  Landlords who wish to become accredited must meet set criteria.

Energy Efficiency

Can we link to energy efficiency doc and the part that talks about ‘Private tenants, landlords and Houses in Multiple Occupation’

Rent arrears

Moray Council has published a useful guide about what to do if your private tenant falls into rent arrears.


Mortgage and Insurance

Becoming a Landlord may affect your mortgage and insurance.  Some guidance can be found here.

Contact Us

Environmental Health
Moray Council
Council Office
High Street, Elgin
IV30 1BX


Rate this Page