Private Sector Housing

Housing Standards

Moray Council Environmental Health Section has a duty in terms of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 -2006 to take action in respect of houses which fail the tolerable standard. 

The tolerable standard consists of a set of criteria covering the elements of a house, which are fundamental to its functioning as a home. The criteria address issues of public health, comfort and safety. The tolerable standard focuses only on the building itself, and does not extend to internal decoration, heating systems or other utilities in the house. The tolerable standard applies to houses of all tenures.

  • A house meets the tolerable standard if it:
  • is structurally stable;
  • is substantially free from rising or penetrating damp;
  • has satisfactory provision for natural and artificial lighting, for ventilation and for heating;
  • has satisfactory thermal insulation;
  • has an adequate piped supply of wholesome water available within the house;
  • has a sink provided with a satisfactory supply of both hot and coldwater within the house;
  • has a water closet or waterless closet available for the exclusive use of the occupants of the house and suitably located within the house;
  • has a fixed bath or shower and a wash-hand basin, each provided with a satisfactory supply of both hot and cold water and suitably located within the house;
  • has an effective system for the drainage and disposal of foul and surface water;
  • in the case of a house having a supply of electricity, complies with the relevant requirements in relation to the electrical installations for the purposes of that supply;
    • “the electrical installation” is the electrical wiring and associated components and fittings, but excludes equipment and appliances;
    • “the relevant requirements” are that the electrical installation is adequate and safe to use
  • has satisfactory facilities for the cooking of food within the house; and
  • has satisfactory access to all external doors and outbuildings.

Further Information

If you require more information on the standards please search for "the tolerable standard" at

Information about the "Scheme of Assistance for Home Owners and Private Tenants in Moray" can be found on our Private Sector Housing page.

Housing Maintenance

Moray Council Environmental Health Section has a duty in terms of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 to investigate complaints where houses are in need of repair or are not being maintained so that their appearance or state of repair adversely effects the amenity of the area.

Report a House in Need of Repair and Maintenance

Please Email or call 01343 563345 to report a house, which is in need of repair and maintenance.

Registers and Notices

If you would like information about Registers and Notices held by Environmental Health please go to our Registers and Notices page

Contact Us

Environmental Health
Moray Council
Council Office
High Street, Elgin
IV30 1BX


Rate this Page