FOI Request - Restraint in Educational Settings
I would like the following information under the freedom of information act.
1) How many referrals have been made to Children’s Services by schools/parents where allegations or complaints have been made concerning the use of restraint in educational settings. Where the complaints or allegations have prompted there to be a safeguarding referral. Please define data into settings and who reported or made the referral.
The referrals from all education settings to include nurseries, primary and secondary schools, specialist, mainstream and independent.
Restraint includes the use of mechanical restraint, physical and chemical restraint.
Please can information be supplied for the last 7 years.
2) May I also have the numbers of children in question 1 who have been identified as having an additional need, disability eg physical or leaning disability or autism.
3) if a referral is made, but then it is decided that the case should not be progressed, what reasons might there be for this to happen. Please give examples.
Please supply figures for cases that have been referred and then the case closed no further action.
4) What guidance does the LA give to schools on the use of restraint.
1.-3. Complaint information is held for for 5 years only in line with our retention schedules. During that time, the number of complaints recorded is between 0 and 5. This number is so low that disclosure could risk identifying individuals and so it is exempt under section 38(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, personal information. We also cannot not provide the details of this complaint as it would identify the individuals involved.
There were no safeguarding referrals.
4. Guidance regarding restraint is provided through Restraint Reduction Network Approved Behaviour Support Strategies (BSS) training.