Public Health - Noise

General Information

Noise can be defined as unwanted sound. It can be a source of irritation and annoyance. Complaints about noise have increased significantly over the past few years. Unfortunately there is often no "quick fix" and they can take some time to resolve effectively.

What we deal with

Environmental Health can deal with noise from:

  • Commercial and industrial premises
  • Pubs, clubs and other places of entertainment
  • Construction and demolition sites
  • Ice cream vans

The Environmental Health Section has an Anti-Social Behaviour Unit and can respond to a variety of domestic noise complaints.

Other agencies such as the Police and Moray Council Housing services can also deal with noise complaints in certain circumstances.

What you can do

If you are bothered by noise, first try approaching the person, household or business concerned and tell them about the problem. Be polite and discuss a possible compromise. If that does not work keep a diary of dates, times and types of excessive noise. If you decide to make a formal complaint, you can do this through our anti-social behaviour online form or contact Environmental Health on 01343 563345.

Police Scotland should be contacted if the noise nuisance is being created by car horns or noisy vehicles, disturbances or rowdy behaviour, loud parties and music from domestic properties. A warning will usually be given if the police are called out to a noisy party, however they also have the power to confiscate noise making equipment such as a stereo, if the warnings are not heeded.

Neighbour/Bonfire/Noise Frequently Asked Questions

If you would like to find out more please go to our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Contact Us

Environmental Health
Moray Council
Council Office
High Street, Elgin
IV30 1BX

0300 1234561

Rate this Page