Animal Health and Welfare

Animal Movements

Movement of livestock within this country has to be recorded: 


All cattle have a passport. Within this passport the movements are recorded. These movements have to be notified to the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS) to ensure traceability. For further information or advice contact us  or visit


Flock records are to be kept on site and updated with deaths or movements etc. These entries have to be notified to the Scottish Animal Movement Unit (SAMU). 


The monitoring of the movement of pigs is controlled by the Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 1995. 

Live Bivalve Molluscs and Live Shellfish Registration (Movement) Documents

Registration (Movement) documents are an important link in a chain of public health control measures designed to ensure that shellfish placed on the market are safe to eat. It is therefore essential that the origin of the shellfish is known and that this traceability is maintained from harvesting to final sale.

There is a legal requirement for each batch or consignment of live bivalve molluscs (e.g. scallops, razor clams, cockles ,mussels, oysters etc) or live shellfish (e.g. whelks and periwinkles) being removed from a harvesting site (classified bed or area), to be accompanied by a registration document.

Registration documents (Maximum 20) are available free of charge on request from The Environmental Health Section of Moray Council. Contact details email –  or or Telephone 0300 1234561


If live animals are to be transported for 8 hours or more this has to be conducted in accordance with the current legislation. 

Contact Us

Environmental Health Section
The Moray Council
Council Office
High Street, Elgin
IV30 1BX

0300 1234561

01343 563990

Rate this Page