Dog Control Services - Frequently Asked Questions

I breed dogs, do I need a licence?

Generally, you do need a licence to breed dogs but this depends on the number of breeding bitches you have.  More information on this issues can be obtained from contacting the Moray Council Licensing section on or via the Contact Centre on 0300 1234561.

As a dog owner, how can I avoid paying a penalty if I’m out with my dog?

You should always be prepared to clean up after your dog and should always carry some means of picking up the waste.

Does the dog warden deal with cats?

The Dog Warden Service only deals with dogs. Cats are free to roam where they wish and they are not subject to any controls when doing so.

I’m going on holiday – can you recommend a good boarding kennels or cattery?

Boarding establishments for cats/or dogs must be licensed by the Local Authority.  We cannot recommend specific premises but would urge anyone thinking of boarding their animals to visit the kennels or cattery first.  You should ensure your pet is up to date with vaccinations as you will need to show the vaccination certificate to the kennels or cattery upon admission.

I have found a dog, what do I do with it?

If you find a stray dog, you should contact the Animal Services Officer (0300 1234561) during normal office hours and we will endeavour to collect the dog provided we can be satisfied that the dog is not your own.  The Council’s Dog Warden Service operates from 8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

I have lost my dog, has the Dog Warden picked it up?

Report it to the Dog Wardens as soon as possible.  We keep a register of all stray dogs that have been picked up within Moray.  If you have lost your dog you could contact Brumley Brae Kennels, Elgin (01343 544411).  You should also notify the police.

Rate this Page