The Benefits Service is part of the Revenues Service provided by us. The benefits we pay are based on a person’s individual circumstances, and follow the rules set down by parliament and the Council.
Our Benefits Service administers the following benefits:
- Housing Benefit (including Local Housing Allowance for private tenants). Please note: these are being replaced by Universal Credit from 27 June 2018
- Council Tax Reduction
- Council Tax - Second Adult Rebate
- Free School Meals
- Educational Clothing Grants
- Scottish Welfare Fund
- Discretionary Housing Payments
Entitlement to Benefit is assessed on each claimant's personal and financial circumstances. If you think that you may qualify for some Benefit, go to https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators. It will allow you to perform a trial calculation, which will let you know if you may qualify for some Benefit. Find out how the information you give us is used (pdf).
Please remember that this website is only a general guide to benefits schemes and is not a full and authoritative statement of the law. We have made every effort to ensure that the information on this website is correct. However changes in the law may make the website become gradually less accurate.
The Welfare MAP provides details of services that can provide support and assistance with money, debts, housing, employment and specialist services.
Our corporate Customer Care Charter tells you about the range and level of service that you can expect to receive from the Benefit Service.
Our Aims and Objectives
Our aim is to provide a prompt, accurate and secure benefits service that recognises and meets the needs of the local community and contributes to its overall welfare. Our service objectives are to:
- Provide effective and efficient administration
- Maximise the take up of benefits and make the service easier to access
- Prevent, reduce and recover overpayments of benefit
- Ensure the benefit system is secure by preventing, deterring, detecting and acting against fraud
- Ensure quality by providing training and guidance for staff, and undertaking processes for checking and monitoring work
- Work together with organisations to improve and promote the service and contribute in the prevention of poverty and homelessness
Customer Contact Team