Services for People with a Physical Disability


We aim to help people aged 16-65 with a physical disability or a sensory impairment to maintain their independence and live in their own homes and communities.

If you have a physical disability or a long term illness, which affects your physical or sensory abilities, we can provide a range of services, support and advice to help you live as independently as possible in your own home. We also provide services to help the person who looks after you, who we call your carer. 

How we can support you

The kind of help we can offer depends on your needs.

If you, or someone else on your behalf, has asked us for help, we need to find out more about you. This means we need to collect information, discuss this with you and agree what might be done and what services we can offer. This is called an assessment.

Sometimes we need to ask for information about you from other people who know you, such as your GP. We will also help people who are caring for you - such as a partner or friend. If you are caring for someone else and think you need help, you have a right to ask for an assessment of your own needs.

There are many demands on our services and sometimes we have to make difficult decisions about who to help first. Priority is given to those whose physical safety, physical health or mental health is at risk.

If we cannot help you directly, we may be able to suggest other organisations that can.

Working with you

It is very important for us to work in partnership with you, your carers and other family members. we will listen carefully to your views and take your wishes and feelings into account in all the work we do.

We also work closely with others like GPs, nurses, community care services, police and voluntary organisations. We believe this is the best way to meet your needs.

Some of the services we provide

Care Officers - can carry out an assessment of your needs. They are also available to give general advice, support and guidance. They can discuss your choices with you and can also put you in touch with other people who may be able to help you. Our objective is to help you live as independently as possible in the community.

Equipment and adaptations - our Occupational Therapists have specialist training to help you live independently and safely in your own home. They can advise on and arrange equipment to help with daily living, providing you meet the eligibility criteria for provision.

Housing adaptations - if you are disabled adaptations to your home may help you to remain living independently, such as by building a wheelchair ramp or a downstairs toilet. Your local community services office is the first point of contact for an assessment of need; the housing department carries out the adaptations.

Employment opportunities - we can help you find training, work placements and other daytime activities you are interested in. Activities are arranged to meet your individual needs.

Home care - provides help with getting up, washing , dressing and other personal care. Personal care can be provided directly by us or by organisations approved by us.

Moray Resource Centre - the Moray Resource Centre offers a specialised service for individuals with a physical and sensory disability. The service aims to help individuals adjust to change, learn new skills, gain confidence, return to education/work and participate in the development of the service.

Independent living schemes - we will work with you to develop your independence. Direct Payments allows you to buy in the care you need for daily independent living, such as personal care, cooking, cleaning and social activities.

Disabled badge scheme - we can supply a Blue Badge to people who are registered blind or have limited mobility and who meet the Government criteria for the provision of a badge. This allows disabled badge holders to park closer to the shops or other facilities and in restricted areas - whether they are the driver or passenger. To request an application form, telephone - 01343 551339

Help for carers - you may be looking after someone else - a husband or wife, a parent or child. Although you may not need help yourself, you may appreciate some help with the person you are looking after or even a short break.

Telecare: 21st century safety in the home

A range of non intrusive telecare sensors provide a comprehensive way of managing the risks to a person's health and home environment 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Telecare offers older or disabled people and their carers new ways to manage home safety, enabling vulnerable people to live independently for a long as possible.

Charges for services

There is no charge for an assessment by Adult Social Care or for the services of a Social worker or Occupational Therapist. Most NHS services are also free.

For some services there are charges , for example, meals on wheels, home care and residential care. Therefore, as part of your assessment we may need to look into your financial circumstances to assess how much you might have to pay. where there are charges for services, you will always be told how much they are likely to be.

How to get help and contact us

If you need help, you can contact your local Area Team Office from the list at the end of this document. You can do this yourself or ask someone to do it for you. You can also tell us if you are worried about someone you know. If you wish we will keep your identity confidential.

Rate this Page