Metal Dealer Registration
A licence is required for carrying on business as a Metal Dealer whether based in premises or not. Read our Guidance Notes (PDF) for information about your obligations, completing the application form and the Certificate of Display.
A scrap metal dealer shall be classed as carrying on a business in the local authority area if any of the following apply:
- the dealer occupies a place as a scrap metal store in the area
- the dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but has a usual place of residence in the area
- the dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but occupies a place for business purposes
Applicants must provide the following:
- their full name
- the address of the dealer, or in the case of a company, their registered or principal office
- the address of each place occupied as a scrap metal store, if any
- if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store
- if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store but the applicant occupies a place for the purposes of business, and the address of such a place
The registered dealer must notify the local authority of any changes to these details or if they cease to be a scrap metal dealer.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.
We will charge a fee that you will pay online to process your application. To minimise our costs, we will pass on a 1.80% charge on the value of all payments made by credit card.
To apply for registration, apply for an exemption warrant or supply a certificate of compliance for a scrap metal dealer licence please use the links in the Online Services box below.
Legal and Democratic Services