Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are receiving the housing element of Universal Credit, you should apply using this form.

If you are receiving Housing Benefit download a general Discretionary Housing Payment form (PDF), or a Discretionary Housing Payment form for under occupancy (PDF). Please print this out, sign it and return it to: The Moray Council, Freepost SCO 721, PO Box 5758, Elgin, IV30 1BR. You can also make an application for a Discretionary Housing Payment by calling 01343 563456, and we will send you a form.

It is important to provide as much information as you can about your situation as this will help us to make a quicker decision. We may need to see evidence of your rental liability, income and expenditure.

How we use your personal information

Our Privacy Notice tells you how we use the personal data you provide in your application.

For any queries or concerns about how your personal data is being processed you can contact the Data Protection Officer at or 01343 562633. You can also consult the information available at the Information Commissioner's website:

Reporting changes to your circumstances

If your application is successful and an award is made you must tell us immediately if any of your circumstance or those of people living with you change.

Changes you need to tell us about include any changes to:

  • Income
  • Savings/capital held
  • Outgoings and/or disposable income
  • Award of Universal Credit or the housing element rate included in your Universal Credit
  • If anyone starts or stops work
  • Your rent or tenancy
  • Your household
  • If you or anyone in your household moves address

If you delay telling us about a change we will take action to recover any Discretionary Housing Payment overpaid to you.

What should I do if I disagree with the decision?

If you do not agree with the decision we have made you can ask for it to be looked at again. To do this either write or email us within one month from the date of the decision letter, stating why you disagree.

If you have any new information or evidence to support your request, for example medical evidence, please submit it at the same time as your appeal. We will review your application and the decision and let you know the outcome.

Contact Us

Customer Contact Team

Rate this Page