Council Tenants - Ending your Tenancy

If you want to end your tenancy, you must give us at least 28 days written notice, or if you are transferring your tenancy, you must give us at least seven days written notice.  You can do this by filling in the termination of tenancy form (PDF) or the termination of tenancy (Transfer) form (PDF).  If you do not give us the full amount of notice, we may charge you rent for the full notice period. If you are a joint tenant the process is slightly different. Please see our page on Joint tenancies.

Every person in your household age 16 or over must sign the tenancy termination form to confirm that they know the tenancy is ending.  You must also tell any lodger or sub-letter, and if you are a joint tenant, you must give your joint tenants four weeks written notice.

An inspection of your property will take place before and after you leave the property.

We will: agree the condition you should leave your house in, identify repairs and discuss any concerns that you may have.

You should: make sure your house is clean and tidy, remove all belongings and rubbish, and clear loft and garden areas.  Your garden area should be left tidy and you should remove any fixtures and fittings, and repair any damage cause by them.

You are responsible for telling your suppliers that your tenancy is ending, for example the gas and electricity company or broadband provider, and for redirection of your mail.  There are some repairs which you are responsible for too, including holes in plasterwork, unblocking drains or toilets, and repairing broken or cracked glass in windows.

Compensation for Improvements

If you have carried out improvements to your home, we may give you compensation when your tenancy ends.  This does not apply under the ‘Right to Buy’ Scheme.  To make a claim, you must apply in writing within 28 days of your tenancy ending, and no later than 21 days after the termination date.

Examples of improvements which you may be compensated for include: installing cavity wall insulation, draught-proofing outside doors or windows, installing double glazing, adding storage cupboards to the bathroom or kitchen, or replacing work surfaces for
preparing food.

To find out more, email our housing team.

Contact Us

Housing and Property

Rate this Page