Council Tenants Information

Please help us to keep you and your family safe  

Fire regulations in Scotland have changed.  As your landlord, we have a legal duty to upgrade the smoke, heat and carbon monoxide alarms in your home.  This will make sure your property meets the new minimum legal safety standards needed for fire safety in social housing.  We can only carry out the work if we get access to your property.

Who will carry out the work?  Approved electricians from a company called Belac.  It should take no more than 2 hours and will follow Covid safe working practices.

What can I do to help? Please contact either of the following to arrange a suitable appointment:

Merris - or phone 07966 220716 or 01542 885103 or

Andrea - or phone 07971 879348 or 01542 837219

How do I know if the electrician from Belac is legitimate? All the electricians will carry photographic ID – please ask to see it.  You can also phone our Moray Council Contact Centre on 01343 543451 to confirm they are who they say they are.

Do I have to give access? It is a legal responsibility under your tenancy agreement to give access to Moray Council or its contractors to carry out essential work.  If there is a genuine reason why you cannot give access for the work please tell us and we can work with you to find the best solution to get the works undertaken.

What happens if I don’t give access?  Belac will refer these cases back to us.  We will try to continue to contact you to arrange access.  If we do not hear from you or there is no real reason that would stop the work going ahead at this time we will have no option but to follow our escalation process, up to and including forced entry, but we want to do everything we can to avoid this happening.  

Please help us to help you.  

Tenant information

We produce a lot of information to keep you up-to-date on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and the services we can provide to you.

Whether you are a new or existing tenant, you can find out how to report a repair, what permissions you will need if you want to make changes to your property, and who to contact if you have a housing-related emergency.

Tenant documents

Download your Tenant's Handbook and the latest edition of The Tenants' Voice.

We have prepared a list of useful leaflets and forms which give information on specific topics relating to you and your tenancy.  This includes the Guide for EEA and EU citizens in Scotland.

Universal Credit

From 27 June 2018, Universal Credit full service started in Moray.  Our guide to Universal Credit gives more information on what full service means and gives advice on making a claim.

Housing (Scotland) Act 2014

All our tenants were notified by 1 November 2018 of changes to housing law which affect their rights under their tenancy agreement.  

Contact Us

Housing and Property

Rate this Page