Home Education FAQs

What do I need to do to request to withdraw my child from school?

You must seek our consent before withdrawing your child from school. You can do this by writing to us to inform us of your decision to home educate your child and to request consent to withdraw them from school. Include initial proposals of how you intend to provide an efficient and suitable education for your child. These proposals do not need to be detailed but must give an indication of educational objectives and proposed resources.  At this point, you will be provided with a named contact from the education authority who is familiar with home education.

What happens after I have sent a request to withdraw?

We will acknowledge receipt of your letter and check if there is anything in your child’s record to cause concern. If we have no cause for concern and you have provided outline proposals of your educational provision, we should be able to grant written consent within six weeks from receipt of your letter.  Where more information is required for your educational proposals, we will contact you as soon as possible.

Can I withdraw my child from school as soon as I have sent my request letter?

You may start your provision of home education once you have received our written consent. It is best if you apply for consent to withdraw in advance of the date that you wish your child to stop attending school. Many families choose to write to us at the end of a school term so that the process can be progressed over the holidays.  We understand that this is not always possible and we will always take a reasonable approach in such circumstances.

Will I need to meet with a contact from the education authority?

We like to meet families – either at your home or elsewhere. This gives you the opportunity to meet your named contact and to informally discuss any issues that you might have about home education. This meeting is entirely optional. Alternatively, you can advise us that you wish your contact with us to be by phone, letter or email.

In what circumstances am I not required to request consent to home educate?

You are not required to request consent if:

  • your child has never attended a local authority school
  • your child has not attended a local authority school in Moray
  • your child is being withdrawn from an independent school
  • your child has finished primary education in one school but has not started secondary education in another
  • the school that your child has been attending has closed

Contact Us

Council Office
High Street
IV30 1BX

01343 563374


Rate this Page