Early Learning & Childcare (ELC)
The Scottish Government currently funds early learning and childcare a year for three, four and eligible two year olds. In Moray, this is delivered by a combination of school nurseries, independent (private and third sector) early learning and childcare providers, and childminders.
Since August 2020 all three and four year olds and eligible two year olds in Moray are entitled to up to 1140 hours of funded early learning and childcare per academic year (August to July), paid for by the Scottish Government.
Nursery registration for the 2023/24 session starting in August 2023 for children born between 1 March 2019 and 28 February 2021 will commence on 16th January 2023 and will run for two weeks. Please note that parents should not attend nurseries to register - if you are unable to apply online, please contact ELCadmin@moray.gov.uk or 01343 563374.
To apply online, you will need the following information:
- Address and contact details for all parents/carers, including postcode
- Birth certificate (saved as a jpg, png, pdf or zip) - a scan or a photograph will suffice - please make sure that the details are clearly readable on the scan/photograph you provide.
- Proof of main residence (saved as a jpg, png, pdf or zip) A valid driving licence, tax credit statements, council tax bill, utilities bill dated within 3 months of your application date (January 2022), MOD 1132, signed missives if moving into new property. *please note that we cannot accept bank/credit card statements
- Emergency contacts details
- Medical conditions (eg. allergies) and any medication taken
- Doctors surgery details
|A child whose date
of birth is between:
|Will be eligible for
a funded place from:
|Type of place:|
|15 August 2018 and
28 February 2019
|15 August 2023||Deferred Entry|
|1 March 2019 and
29 February 2020
|15 August 2023||Pre-school|
|1 March 2020 and
31 August 2020
|15 August 2023||Ante pre-school|
|1 September 2020 and
31 December 2020
|8 January 2024||Ante pre-school|
|1 January 2021 and
28 February 2021
|15 April 2024||Ante pre-school|
Two year olds are eligible for up to 1140 hours of funded ELC per academic year (August to July) if they meet one of the qualifying criteria.
Early learning and childcare is not statutory, and it is for parents to decide whether they want their child to participate. As early learning and childcare is not statutory, Moray Council does not provide transport.
Your choice of nursery or childminder is entirely your decision - you may find our early years guide for parents helpful to give you hints and tips about things to consider.
You must register with your preferred provider but as there are a limited number of places in each setting you should list a second and third choice too.
You can find a list of registered childminders in Moray here.
When allocating funded ELC places, priority is given as follows:
- Existing attendance in the nursery
- Those resident in secondary catchment area and, with a sibling in the nursery
- Those resident in secondary catchment area
- Children with a Co-ordinated Support Plan (CSP), and/or subject to assessment by the Education Authority
- Those residing out with secondary catchment area, and with a sibling in the nursery
- Those residing out with the secondary catchment area
Priority within any of the six categories above will be given to older children first and then to those resident closest to requested provision (distance being calculated by the straight line method).
You also have the option to split the allocation of funded hours your child receives across more than one nursery establishment (e.g. 2 full days at Nursery A, and 2 mornings at Nursery B), or to use some, or all of your allocated hours with a childminder registered with Moray Council. If splitting your funding between 2 providers you should ensure that the total of your funded hours does not exceed 1,140 hours across the period between August 2023 to July 2024.
After you have registered you can expect to receive a letter confirming your place as follows:
|Eligible start date||Allocation letters sent out|
You will not receive a letter if your first choice is full. You will automatically be contacted by the nursery or childminder that you listed as your next choice.
In the event you are unable to obtain an Early Learning & Childcare (ELC) funded place at any of your three options it is essential you contact other ELC settings in your ASG. A list can be found above. In the event no ELC places are available in the ASG please contact ELCadmin@moray.gov.uk.
Some nurseries and childminders offer full day care services - you will be charged for any additional hours you use over and above your funded hours. Assistance towards the cost of ELC may be available through the Working Families Tax Credit.
A lot of parents may perhaps have questions around Funded Early Learning and Childcare. To get answers to your questions or for more information please click here.
Eligibility for increased Early Learning & Childcare provision