Early Learning & Childcare (ELC)
The Scottish Government currently funds early learning and childcare a year for three, four and eligible two year olds. In Moray, this is delivered by a combination of school nurseries, independent (private and third sector) early learning and childcare providers, and childminders.
Since August 2020 all three and four year olds and eligible two year olds in Moray are entitled to 1140 hours of funded early learning and childcare a year, paid for by the Scottish Government.
Nursery registration for the 2021/22 session starting in August 2021 for children born between 1 March 2017 and 28 February 2019 will commence on 18th January 2021 and will run for two weeks. Due to the COVID pandemic, registration will be undertaken online other than in absolutely exceptional circumstances. Please note that parents should not attend nurseries to register - if you are unable to apply online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01343 563374.
To apply online, you will need the following information:
- Address and contact details for all parents/carers, including postcode
- Birth certificate (saved as a jpg, png, pdf or zip) - a scan or a photograph will suffice - please make sure that the details are clearly readable on the scan/photograph you provide.
- Proof of main residence (saved as a jpg, png, pdf or zip) A valid driving licence, tax credit statements, council tax bill, utilities bill dated within 3 months of your application date (January 2021), MOD 1132, signed missives if moving into new property. *please note that we cannot accept bank/credit card statements
- Emergency contacts details
- Medical conditions (eg. allergies) and any medication taken
- Doctors surgery details
|A child whose date
of birth is between:
|Will be eligible for
a funded place from:
|Type of place:|
|17 August 2016 and
28 February 2017
|17 August 2021||Deferred Entry|
|1 March 2017 and
28 February 2018
|17 August 2021||Pre-school|
|1 March 2018 and
31 August 2018
|17 August 2021||Ante pre-school|
|1 September 2018 and
31 December 2018
|10 January 2022||Ante pre-school|
|1 January 2019 and
28 February 2019
|18 April 2022||Ante pre-school|
Two year olds are eligible for 1140 hours of funded ELC from August 2020 if they meet one of the qualifying criteria.
Early learning and childcare is not statutory, and it is for parents to decide whether they want their child to participate. As early learning and childcare is not statutory, Moray Council does not provide transport.
Your choice of nursery or childminder is entirely your decision - you may find our early years guide for parents helpful to give you hints and tips about things to consider.
You must register with your preferred provider but as there are a limited number of places in each setting you should list a second and third choice too.
You can find a list of registered childminders in Moray here.
When allocating funded ELC places, priority is given as follows:
- Child with existing attendance in the nursery
- Child resident in secondary catchment area and sibling in the nursery
- Child resident in secondary catchment
- Child with Co-ordinated Support Plan (CSP), and/or assessment by the Education Authority
- Child outwith secondary catchment area and sibling in the nursery
- Child outwith the secondary catchment area
Priority within any of the six categories above, where it is necessary to be determined, will be given to older children first and then to those resident closest to the setting (distance being calculated by the straight line method).
After you have registered you can expect to receive a letter confirming your place as follows:
|Eligible start date||Allocation letters sent out|
You will not receive a letter if your first choice is full. You will automatically be contacted by the nursery or childminder that you listed as your next choice.
If all of your choices are full, you will be contacted by the Moray Council Early Years team to discuss alternatives.
Some nurseries and childminders offer full day care services - you will be charged for any additional hours you use over and above your funded hours. Assistance towards the cost of ELC may be available through the Working Families Tax Credit. More information is available on https://www.parentclub.scot/.
Eligibility for increased Early Learning & Childcare provision