Voluntary Surrender of Food

Food  business owners can voluntarily surrender food not suitable for human consumption to an authorised officer from Environmental Health.

Owners can decide to do this, or  the authorised officer may suggest it if the food owner agrees it is not suitable for people to eat. 

The officer must issue a receipt which must be countersigned by the officer and the person surrendering the food. 

This is most often dealt with during inspections but sometimes requests are made for this service following freezer breakdowns in food premises. 

Occasionally domestic requests to voluntarily surrender food are made following an insurance claim for a freezer breakdown.

The authorised officer must ensure that the food is disposed of appropriately and maintain a record of the waste transfer note.

There is a charge for voluntary surrender of food - see fee table.

Contact Us

Environmental Health Section
The Moray Council
Council Office
High Street, Elgin
IV30 1BX

0300 1234561

01343 563990


Rate this Page