Money Advice can help anyone in Moray who is struggling with debt – this can range from a missed payment to large arrears. It can be for a single debt or multiple debts. Our advisers will offer free, confidential and non-judgemental advice.
These are examples of some of the debts we can deal with
- Rent/ mortgage arrears
- Council Tax arrears
- Loans – pay day loans/personal loans
- Mobile phone/broadband
- Store/credit cards/Catalogues
- Gas/Electricity arrears
How can we help
We will go through your income and expenditure with you by completing a financial statement and then we will advise on all the options available. It will be your decision as to which option you decide on but we will make sure you have all the information you need for you to make the right decision.
Here is a copy of the blank income and expenditure form we will use with you – you might want to use this to track your spending too.
These can include:
- Asking your creditors for a break in payments for a set amount of time to enable you time to get back on your feet
- In some circumstances requesting debts be ‘written off’
- Setting up an informal payment plan with your creditors based on what you can afford to pay
- Setting up a formal payment plan based on what you can afford to pay - Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS) - https://www.aib.gov.uk/debt-arrangement-scheme
- Bankruptcy (called Sequestration in Scotland) - https://www.aib.gov.uk/bankruptcy
- Trust Deed - https://www.aib.gov.uk/protected-trust-deed
How to contact us
If you would like to discuss your situation with a Money Adviser or make an appointment please call 0300 123 4563 and ask for Money Advice.
Money Advice is jointly funded by Moray Council and the European Social Fund.
If you need help with budgeting, completing a benefit application form, a check to make sure you’re getting all the benefits you’re entitled to or would like help to challenge a benefit decision you can find out more information on the Money Advice Moray service by clicking here
Fee Operating Money Advice Services
Please be aware there are companies who will charge for Money and Debt advice and many will claim ‘no up-front charges’. However, care is needed and although the choice is yours we would always advise using free, independent services such as ourselves or the national agencies listed below
- National Debtline - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/ Tel: 0808 808 4000
- Step Change - https://www.stepchange.org/ Tel: 0800 138 1111