Housing Options Guide-5b

Disabled adaptations

Our free Care and Repair service offers advice and assistance to help owner occupiers and private tenants to adapt their homes so that they can live in comfort and safety at home in their own community.  We can help you with:

• Getting quotes from approved contractors;
• Producing plans if needed;
• Applying for grants or loans which may be available for the works;
• Organising the work through to completion;
• Approaching other agencies who may be able to help; and
• Providing details of reputable contractors.

For more information contact:

Home Improvement Team

Moray Council
PO Box 6760
IV30 9BX

Phone: 0300 123 4566
Email: homeimprovementteam@moray.gov.uk

Additional living accommodation

We may give grant assistance if your Occupational Therapist agrees that the provision of additional living accommodation is the best option for your needs. However, grant assistance is discretionary and the level of grant will be determined by a test of the disabled person’s financial resources.  We will give information, advice and practical assistance to help you carry out the work yourself or to try and find suitable alternative accommodation.  

Disabled adaptations for our tenants

We have an annual budget for disabled adaptations to our properties.  Work is prioritised following an assessment carried out by your Occupational Therapist.  In exceptional circumstances, where works are of particularly high cost and/or are unlikely to fully meet the needs of your household, a more detailed appraisal of your needs may be undertaken, to identify other options, for example, moving to more suitable accommodation.  You should contact the Occupational Therapy Team in the first instance.

Disabled adaptations for housing association tenants

Housing association tenants should contact the Occupational Therapy Service in the first instance for advice, and an assessment as necessary (see section 8.2 for contact details).  

Once you have been assessed for an adaptation, you should contact your landlord to discuss how this need will be met

Disabled adaptations for private tenants

Private tenants who need an adaptation to their home should contact the Occupational Therapy Service in the first instance for advice and an assessment as necessary (see section 8.2 for contact details).  You should then contact your landlord to get formal permission for the adaptation.  Your landlord cannot unreasonably withhold permission for the adaptation.  We can provide information and advice to private tenants, or their landlords, to assist in the reinstatement of any property that has previously been adapted.

Disability Discrimination

All tenants have legal rights but this will depend on your tenancy type.  If you have a disability you will also have rights under the Equality Act 2010.

Under the Equality Act 2010, service providers must make reasonable adjustments to their services and premises to make sure that disabled people can access them.

Landlords have duties falling into the following areas:

  • providing auxiliary aids or services if it is reasonable for them to do so;
  • changing practices, policies or procedures;
  • changing the terms of an existing tenancy.

There is no duty for a landlord to take any steps which would involve the removal or alteration of a physical feature (alteration means making a permanent change to a physical feature, for example, installing a concrete ramp, as opposed to attaching something to the wall with a screw).

Although there is no duty for a landlord to make any adjustments to physical features, landlords must change the terms of a lease to allow a disability-related improvement.  For example, if you have mobility problems and cannot get to the upper floor of your rented house you could ask your landlord for permission to install a stair lift at your own expense.  If your lease prevents you from installing the stair lift then your landlord must change this term in your tenancy.

Rate this Page